Sunday, November 18, 2012

Personal Summary - Presentation




“Osteoporosis Treatments” - Personal Summary
One of my biggest difficulties in presenting, especially to a new group, is volume.  I tend to not project well.  I hear myself as being loud and tend to overcompensate, so I come across as soft spoken.  I know this of myself and have worked on it and have improved over the years but, I have a ways to go yet.
I should become familiar with the presentation equipment before the time of presentation. I felt like I stumbled and was a little disorganized.  I did not understand exactly how our presentations were to be done.  I figured mine was long and only part A would be allowed; however, I thought we would be presenting it fully and not in the time frame we did.   I anticipated having 30 minutes for the presentation but did not know of or account for the several minutes for “setting the stage”; which took from the presentation time.
Practice is everything and more is always better.  Knowing the time frame and format beforehand would be helpful for practicing a presentation like this. My primary presentation venue at work is in the classroom.  I am not accustomed to condensing my presentation materials for class presentations; therefore, attempting to condense and choose key points and stay on target for my goals and outcomes was challenging.
My video showed that I did not move around much nor did I over use my hand gestures.  To some this may have been perceived as a less energized presentation.  I did begin to move into the audience a little later in my presentation during the interactive section. Maybe rearranging my activities to be interspersed better could have helped this perception.  
I know I am my own worsen critic and will pick my performance apart, probably more so than anyone else.  But, I hope you gained some helpful information for this presentation.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marsha,
    Your video came out really well! You're right, we're always our own worse critic but I think you did a great job in the presentation and you have me checking the labels of my snacks even more for calcium and minerals! I hope you had an uneventful trip home! Take Care!

    Kim Mory

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Marsha,
    I thought you did a great job! I thought you projected your voice very well. I remember thinking during your presentation that I wish my voice was so calm, soothing and level as yours was. The level and tone of your voice, in my opinion, gave me the feeling that you were very comfortable with your information and it made me feel comfortable and ease about the material you were teaching.
    We all stumble a little even when we know the equipment we are working with. It did not come across as you were disorganized or did not know the equipment. You really came across as quite comfortable as if you have presented this material many times before.
    I thought you did a great job and you were well prepared and gave a lot of information and tips for your participants to review after the lesson.
    Have a great holiday!
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete